GP and LP views on integrating an ESG framework
Current Time 0:00
Duration Time 0:00
GP and LP views on integrating an ESG framework
About the speakers
- Maarten BiermansPartner/Head of ESG at PROW CapitalBiermans (1974) is a partner at PROW Capital, where he is responsible for ESG, including for the Green Shipping Fund, a private debt fund aimed at speeding up the decarbonization of shipping. Before joining PROW Capital he worked at Rabobank, initially as Head of Sustainability Policy and subsequently as Global Head Sustainable Finance. Before this he worked as a strategy consultant, specializing in responsible investing in alternative investments. During this time he co-authored the PRI guide on how to integrate ESG in Private Equity. Maarten holds dual master degrees in Philosophy and Economics, both from the University of Amsterdam, where he also obtained his doctorate in Economics in 2012. While working on his dissertation, he was a visiting researcher at Stanford University. Maarten is a board member of the UN Global Compact Netherlands Network and a member of the human rights committee of the Advisory Council on International Affairs (AIV), an independent body which advises the Dutch government and parliament on foreign policy. He regularly teaches at universities and in the coming academic year will be teaching the course on Sustainable Finance and Impact Investing course at the Amsterdam Business School. He is also a dedicated fan of Bob Dylan.
- Nazo MoosaManaging Partner at Energy Impact Partners EuropeNazo Moosa is a Managing Partner at Energy Impact Partners, a $3 billion global investment firm custom-built to invest in the energy transition. EIP brings together forward-thinking industrials and climate innovators to help decarbonize the global economy. She is responsible for directing EIP’s overarching investment strategy in Europe. She has a 20 year track record of investing in technology companies. Prior to EIP, Nazo served as CEO and Managing Partner to C5 Capital, Europe’s first cybersecurity fund which she joined after 12 years at The Carlyle Group. Nazo was part of the founding team of Carlyle Technology Partners Europe after working for and investing in technology companies in the United States. Nazo received an M.B.A. from the Columbia Business School and a B.A. in International Economics, Summa Cum Laude, from University of California, Los Angeles.
- Nicolas BaumgartnerImpact Investing Specialist, Private Markets at Bank Julius Baer & CoNicolas is the Private Markets team’s Impact Investing Specialist at Julius Baer. He is responsible for further developing and growing Julius Baer’s impact investing ecosystem, product offering and the bank’s thought leadership on the subject. He brings 15 years of experience in impact investing, having previously invested in private equity funds in emerging markets for SIFEM and British International Investment, advised social enterprises in the UK, and played a key role in the launch of funds focused on access-to-energy and biodiversity whilst at Triple Jump. He holds a PhD in Ethics from Durham University and a B.A. in Economics from the University of St. Gallen.
- Neo MookiHead of Insurance and Private Asset Solutions at GeneraliNeo Mooki is MD and Head of Insurance and Private Asset Solutions at Generali Group, based in Milan, Italy. Generali is one of the major global players in the insurance and asset management sector, AUM of Eur700bn. Prior to joining Generali in late 2022, Neo was the Investment Director at abrdn, focussing on delivering investment solutions for abrdn’s insurance strategic partners, with a client portfolio of c£200bn AUM, about a third of the firm’s total AUM. Her areas of interest are private assets, liability aware investing, ESG, sustainability, and impact investing. She has Actuarial training, holds an Executive MBA from Oxford Universoty and a BSc Hons degree from the University from Wales in Actuarial Science. Neo received the highly commended Investment Week’s Investment Women of the Year (Large Firms) award in 2022, and was awarded Young Investment Professional of the Year, by Insurance Asset Risk in 2019. Neo also supports start-ups and SME businesses with advice on innovative finance and impact investing. She serves on advisory boards of impact investing focussed start-ups.
- Sally RockerManaging Director at J.C Flowers & CoMs. Rocker is a Managing Director and a member of the firm’s Management Committee. Prior to joining the firm in 2000, Ms. Rocker was Of Counsel at O’Sullivan Graev & Karabell, where she represented major financial institutions in their private equity investments. Prior to that, she was an Associate at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in the Mergers and Acquisitions Group from 1988 to 1996. Ms. Rocker began her career in the business sector, working at Petro Lewis Corporation as an Associate in the Strategic Planning and Treasury Departments. Ms. Rocker serves on the Boards of Directors for AmeriLife Group Holdings and ELMC Group, LLC. She received a B.A. from Brown University, an M.B.A. from Yale University and a J.D. from Stanford University.