Green Leasing: Fact vs Fiction
Current Time 0:00
Duration Time 0:00
Green Leasing: Fact vs Fiction
About the speakers
- Marla ThalheimerSenior Director Business Engagement at Institute for Market Transformation (IMT)Marla is a seasoned sustainability professional with over 19 years of experience in developing and implementing ESG programs for the commercial real estate industry. She was a pioneer in helping companies achieve recognition such as GRESB Green Star and ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year while saving millions of dollars in costs and creating high-performance portfolios. From being the first Director of Sustainability in an Office and Industrial REIT followed by the nation’s largest senior living owner/operator, to ESG consulting for real estate portfolios and leading work for the EPA’s ENERGY STAR Commercial Buildings Program, Marla is able to bring her expertise to IMT to oversee the evolution and execution of programmatic strategy and services that drive high-performance building adoption across the real estate industry. Marla is a LEED AP ID+C, a Fitwel Ambassador, and has her master’s degree in Sustainability and Environmental Management from the Harvard University Extension School.
- Philip CarmodyHead of ESG at GID Investment Advisers LLCPhilip Carmody is Head of ESG at GID. He is responsible for integrating Environmental, Social, and Governance principles at GID, developing ESG strategies and managing reporting and compliance obligations. Phil joined GID in 2001, working in both Operations and Acquisitions, and left in 2004 to return to the UK. After working in corporate real estate for RBS in Edinburgh and Providence, he came back to GID in 2013 to work in Portfolio & Asset Management. From 1993 to 2001, Phil worked in various property and asset management roles based in London and Boston. Phil received an MBA from UMass Boston in 2003 and a BSc in Real Estate from the University of Reading, England in 1993. Additionally, Phil has received a Master of Corporate Real Estate designation from CoreNet Global and is qualified as a Chartered Surveyor with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Shea JameelSenior Director, Sustainability at Marsh McLennanShea leads sustainability for Marsh McLennan, the world's leading professional services firm in risk, strategy and people. In her role, she is responsible for delivering on the Company's climate and sustainability commitments and working across the value chain to drive success. She partners closely with internal and external stakeholders to identify and implement key strategic initiatives that will reduce impact and provide shared value to all. Her previous experience includes leading sustainability programs in the commercial real estate, hospitality and chemicals manufacturing sectors. Shea currently serves on her local community’s Advisory Committee for Environmental Sustainability and formerly served on the U.S. Green Building Council’s Location and Planning Technical Advisory Group. She holds a B.S. in Environmental Engineering , an M.S. in Environmental Science and Management and is a LEED Accredited Professional. In her free time, she enjoys cheering for Boston sports teams, baking and the great outdoors.
- Brad MolotskyPartner at Duane Morris LLPBrad A. Molotsky practices in the area of real estate law. He serves as the team lead for the Duane Morris Project Development/P3 industry group and as co-head of the firm's Opportunity Zones practice group. Mr. Molotsky’s primary practice is focused in the areas of opportunity zone fund creation and fund deployment, financing, public private partnership (PPP or P-3), real estate joint ventures (including mixed-use, life sciences and multi-family development), commercial leasing (including a focus in cannabis leasing), and acquisitions and divestitures. He also has deep experience in environmental, social, governance, public company issues such as enterprise risk, internal audit, compensation, as well as energy efficiency, sustainability, and corporate social responsibility. Prior to joining Duane Morris and for nearly 20 years, Brad served as executive vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary of Brandywine Realty Trust. At Brandywine, Mr. Molotsky was responsible for all legal operations of the company, including acquisitions and divestitures, financings, joint ventures, board matters, insurance procurement, litigation oversight, SEC filing oversight and the legal aspects of capital raising. During his tenure, the company grew from 40 buildings to approximately 300 buildings, totaling 28 million square feet. In 2020, Mr. Molotsky was named a national influencer in the Opportunity Zone space by OZ Magazine and won The Philadelphia Inquirer Influencers of Law Award for Real Estate. He was also named by The Philadelphia Inquirer as an Influencer of Real Estate for Real Estate Legal Excellence in 2019. He was also named in TheLegal Intelligencer's list of Pennsylvania Trailblazers for 2019. Mr. Molotsky was named one of Philadelphia Business Journal's 2018 "Best of the Bar: Top Lawyers in Philadelphia. He was also named General Counsel of the year by the Philadelphia Business Journal in 2014 and NJBIZ in 2013 and was awarded the Martin Luther King Community Service award in 2014, the Township Sustainability Leader Award in 2016 and the Roger Davis Community Service Award in 2017. Mr. Molotsky is a 1989 cum laude graduate of Villanova University Law School, where he was Order of the Coif, and also earned an M.B.A. in Finance from Villanova University. He is a 1986 cum laude graduate of the University of Delaware. Mr. Molotsky has also earned his LEED AP O+M certification. He also has earned an AV Preeminent® peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell®.
- Understand the critical role leasing plays in meeting targets and reporting requirements, such as SEC climate disclosures
- Identify the most common barriers (or myths) of green leasing and learn ways to overcome them
- Gain knowledge into the green lease evolution towards a performance-based lease and the differences between them
- Gain access to helpful green leasing resources and how to be recognized for green leasing efforts through the Green Lease Leader program