The rise of the mid-market
Current Time 0:00
Duration Time 0:00
The rise of the mid-market
About the speakers
- Giovanna MaagPartner at Altor Equity Partners AGGiovanna is a Partner at Altor Equity Partners in Zurich where she helped building the DACH presence. She focuses on investments in Mittelstand companies. For Altor she has lead the investments into Berlin-based D2C athleisure business oceansapart, partnered with the family-owners and SMS Group to invest in the globally active Mittelstand-gem Kaefer Isoliertechnik with more than 100 years of family heritage and partnered with management and founders in the investment in VTU, an Austrian head-quarted life-science engineering firm. Prior to joining Altor in 2018, she spent nearly 10 years at 3i in Germany. Giovanna started her career in M&A at Morgan Stanley and strategy consulting at McKinsey & Company in Frankfurt and London.
- Inna GehrtManaging Partner at Mindful Capital PartnersInna Gehrt is a Managing partner at Mindful Capital Partners, European Private equity investor that was founded in 2007 and focuses on niche leading, export-oriented European small and mid-cap companies, that can benefit from expansion to Asia and from buy and build strategies. Inna has been active in the Private Equity and Corporate Finance environment for more than 15 years. She has a successful track record of deal-making, value creation, and experience in mid-market deals. Inna has a CFO/corporate finance background holding an MBA in Economics from the University of Mannheim.
- Merrick McKayHead of Private Equity Europe at abrdnMerrick heads the European Private Equity team within abrdn, and is based in its Edinburgh and London offices. With European AuM of €8bn, abrdn’s private equity activities include making primary commitments, secondary fund investments and co-investments for clients and pooled funds, undertaken by a European team of 25 investment professionals. Merrick sits on the Investment Committee for all European mandates as well as the overall Portfolio Construction & Management Committee, and is responsible for relationship management with a number of key clients. Merrick is a member of Invest Europe’s Limited Partner Council, an Advisory Board member of numerous funds, and a regular speaker at private equity conferences. An Australian, Merrick has worked in the European private equity industry for 28 years. Prior to joining SL Capital, now part of abrdn, in 2014, Merrick was Head of European Investments and Senior Partner of Macquarie’s Private Markets division. Previous roles include: 13 years as a Partner and Investment Committee member of Primary Capital (the London-based, mid-market private equity firm) where he was responsible for leading, originating and managing numerous private equity investments in the UK; and 5 years at a corporate finance boutique providing lead advice for a number of European private equity investments. Merrick holds Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws degrees from the University of Queensland.
- Mark BraganzaPartner, Private Capital Health Care team at EQT PartnersMark joined EQT Partners in 2023 as Partner, Private Capital Healthcare Team. Mark is a medical doctor by training with degrees in Physiology and Medicine from Cambridge University, UK, and has worked in private equity healthcare investing for the past 13 years, first at TPG Capital, then at GHO Capital and most recently at SunEuropean. At TPG,Mark was part of the core healthcare team, based both in San Francisco and London, investing across deal types including in early-stage, LBOs and structured finance
- Michael EnglandPartner at Pollen Street CapitalMichael is a partner of Pollen Street Capital and joined the team in 2006. Michael has extensive experience of private equity and credit investing. He has focused on the payments and technology sectors in recent years along with the lending segments. Mike currently has responsibility for Aryza and Foreign Currency Direct with previous responsibility for Link Loans, Target, Moneycorp and Cashflows. Prior to joining the team, Michael spent three years at OC&C Strategy Consultants, focusing on strategy and private equity projects across a range of industries. He has a First-Class degree in Chemistry from Oxford University and went on to complete a masters’ degree in carbohydrate chemistry.